It’s December here in Kamloops, BC. What this means is that the winter is really here. With winter comes snow. If you are like me, you might have a pretty long driveway or pathway that you have to shovel.
Danger with snow shoveling
- Snow involves heavy lifting for a sustained period of time.
- Heavily packed snow can be more difficult to shovel.
- Over the age of 55, you should consider getting someone to shovel for you. Also, clear it with your doctor.
How to get the best out of snow shovelling
- Consider warming up and stretching before shovelling snow. This will prepare your body and muscle.
- See it as a way of exercising – this way you enjoy it.
- Put on some music or listen to a motivation audio or video. You might get an idea that will change your life while snow shovelling. How cool is that!
- Wear appropriate clothing. You don’t want it too thick as you might sweat a lot. Too light might get you cold too.
Better way to shovel snow
According to research, the best way is to shovel the snow is “a bit at a time” when it is still snowing. If you can’t get outside when it is still snowing, remove the snow layer-after-layer. When the snow is fresh, it is easier to shovel.
Happy snow shoveling.